The Powell River Food Security Project is funded by Vancouver Coastal Health under the province-wide Community Food Action Initiative.
Our goals are to:
- Promote awareness of value of local food, by
- Encouraging and supporting increased local food production;
- Encouraging and supporting increased access to local food;
- Help develop more food-producing gardens in the community;
- Educate and reach out into the community;
- Network & help build a healthy community around food;
- Develop regional policies that support the above goals.
The Food Security Project originated with the Powell River Food Security Coalition, which is a networking group that started in 1998 as an aid in communication and community capacity-building among agencies and individuals in the region concerned with food security issues.
The coalition meets monthly throughout the year and acts as a steering committee for the coordinator of the Food Security Project and as a clearinghouse of information and plans for increasing food security on the Upper Sunshine Coast and associated islands.
Membership in the coalition is open to the public, and we encourage more public involvement. If you are interested in getting involved, please contact us.